Canning Peaches!! The Easy way.

2011-09-10 14:33
Mountain Standard Time

I went to Brigham City Peach Days last night with my cute little family.  I seriously look forward to it all year long.
And beside the grilled burgers and corn on the cob we ate, and the Ferris Wheel and the carousel rides we took, we bought a huge box of peaches.  So of course I can't let them go to ruin.  I spent most of my day today, so far bottling peaches and making jam.
I have read a lot of recipes about lava hot concoctions or syrups.  Mine doesn't involve any of that.

Scrub and boil your bottles.  Use tongs to remove them from the water and let dry on a clean towel.
I never boil the peaches or blanch them.   I use a pairing knife and pull the skins off when they are super ripe it comes right off.  I use the same knife to cut them in half and pop out the pits.  I slice each half into 4 pieces (removing any bad spots as I go along).

Needs about 24 pint sized jars for this batch.

30-40 peaches (peeled pitted and sliced into 8ths)
1/8 c of sugar per jar
water
1 large pot filled with water and set on high to boil.

Line jars on the counter,  fill each jar with between 12-15 pieces depending on the slice size.  (I put them in as I cut them). Sprinkle in 1/8 of a cup of sugar into each bottle.  Fill with water to the bottom thread line on jar and screw on the lids.
Shake them till the sugar dissolves.

Put the filled jars into the pot of boiling water.  Set the timer for 30 minutes.
Using tongs, remove them from the water and set on a towel to cool.  Tighten the rings carefully. (I use a dish cloth to protect my hand from burns)
Listen for the tell tale POP sound to know they are sealed.  Just leave them sit for 24 hours.


That's it!!!  Easy peasy lemon squeezy!!!
 

1 comment:

  1. That is way cool!!! And how easy too. I like the idea of not having to make the boiling syrup.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete