No Soak Slow Cooker Chili

2012-01-27 00:02
Mountain Standard Time
 


1 1/2 lbs hamburger
2 cans diced tomatoes
1-2 cans of water (depending on if you prefer it thicker or thinner)
2 sm cans diced green chillies
1/2 bag red kidney beans or white, or black shoot go ahead and mix them together if you like.
1/2 bag sm red beans
Diced celery
Diced onion
1-2 cans of water

Add what ever seasonings you like, here is what I like:

1-3 teaspoons of chilli powder (depending on how hot you like it)
1-3 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 dashes of ground black pepper





Sometimes I add a cup of frozen corn or uncooked brown rice.  It makes it thicker and hardier.


Brown hamburger in what ever seasonings you like. Put everything in the slow cooker and stir well cook on high for 8 hrs!

I prepared everything the night before and put it in the glass part of the slow cooker in the fridge overnight so all I had to do in the morning was pull it out of the fridge, pour in the cans of water and turn on the slow cooker!


*I wash my beans in cold running water and make sure there are no rocks.  I don't presoak them, I just add them into the slow cooker pan the night before.

*I never buy those little packets of seasonings, mostly because we really don't know what's in it.  It's loaded with salt and monosodium glutamate, which some people can tolerate just fine but makes me seriously sick.  So if you'd like to substitute a  packet for the seasonings I listed, go for it.  Let me know how it works out, ok?
*
You could use canned beans if you want to, just reduce heat to low and add only half the can of water, and rinse your beans in a colander under cold running water so you don't end up with way too much sodium.
This one is just a dump and go.  That's it!  Easy-peasy lemon squeezy.

To round out the meal I usually make corn bread or another type of rolls to go with it.  I like to add a dab of sour cream on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment